Acceptance of International Students
Depending on the purpose,
there are various student statuses for receiving students from abroad.
When considering accepting international students,
the prospective supervisor receives them with a status that suits their purpose.
The time of acceptance procedures and costs will also vary depending
on the student’s status and program.
For more information, please see the list below.
Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) Scholarship students receive a scholarship from the Japanese government to study in Japan. Please refer to the following for more information on MEXT (Japanese Government) Scholarship students.
MEXT Scholarship Student
MEXT Scholarship Students are international students receiving Scholarships from the Japanese government to study in Japan.
*The University accepts international students through (1) “Embassy Recommendation” and (2) “University Recommendation” systems.
For more information on MEXT Scholarship Program, please visit the MEXT website below.
◆Monbukagakusho Scholarship Program (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology)
(1) Embassy recommendation
Embassy recommendation is a method whereby Japanese diplomatic missions abroad (Japanese embassies and consulates general) recruit candidates. After passing an examination and interview, they are recommended and approved by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) for successful candidates.
The flow from acceptance to enrollment and points to keep in mind are as described for your assistance.
- Applications are usually received from Japanese diplomatic missions abroad in March or April of the year before the year in which the applicant wishes to enroll. The applicant obtains an application form from the Japanese diplomatic mission abroad, prepares the necessary documents, and applies.
- The application period varies according to each Japanese diplomatic mission abroad, so the applicant should confirm the application period in person.
【Request a provisional acceptance】
- In July and August of each year, the first screening applicants (applicants) send a request for provisional acceptance to the department in charge of MEXT Scholarship students at the university of their choice.
*In rare cases, prospective supervisors will be contacted directly by the applicants.
In that case, please get in touch with the Student Support Section (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
- If the prospective supervisor agrees to the acceptance, they must obtain the approval of the Dean of the Graduate School or the Dean of the Department (in the case of the Graduate School of Science) and submit a “Letter of Provisional Acceptance” (designated form) to the Student Support Section. The Student Support Section will send it to the applicant by the end of September.
【Notes on receiving a provisional acceptance request】
- Please carefully review the applicant’s complete application documents (application form, major field of study and research plan, academic transcripts, graduation certificate, etc.) and online interview to ensure that there will be no mismatches in research.
- Even if we issue a “Letter of Acceptance,” it does not guarantee that the applicants will be placed at Kyushu University.
(There are cases in which the applicant has received provisional acceptance from multiple universities or is assigned to another university according to the policy of MEXT)
- If a “Letter of Acceptance” is issued and the applicant is assigned to Kyushu University, the prospective supervisor cannot, in principle, refuse to accept the applicant.
(2) University Recommendation
In the University Recommendation (general quota), candidates for research students, master’s students, and doctoral students are selected by the university based on the recommendations of faculty members and recommended to the Japanese government (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology). In principle, those who do not intend to enter a regular graduate school (master’s or doctoral program) are not eligible to apply for the University Recommendation.
Depending on the academic year, some may or may not be able to be recommended.
It will be announced to faculty members around August if a recommendation is possible.
If the candidates are applying for MEXT Scholarship, they cannot apply for another scholarship (i.e., duplicate application). Please make sure that the candidate has not applied for other than the MEXT scholarship before recommending them. Please note that if a candidate is found to have applied for other than the MEXT scholarship after being selected, they will be denied the scholarship, and no recommendation will be made to fill in for the runner-up.
[Reference] Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC)
This program accepts Chinese students through the CSC scholarship.
For more information, please check the following file.